table of contents
With the Automation service, Powell Teams authorizes users to add additional functions and logic to the team, created through a Powell Teams template.
Powell Teams automation service supports 3 connector types:
- Azure Automation
- Azure functions
- Power Automate
They can be associated to a Powell Teams template and executed at the end of a team creation, after an approval workflow has been sent or after a report creation
With Azure Automation - users will be able to create a code in Azure and link it to Powell Teams. They will be able to import any functionality they need.
How to use the Powell Teams Automation service
Step 1: Link your Azure function or Azure automation in Powell Teams in the automation section.
- In the Menu, go to the Global administration, and click the page automation.
- Click on the button "create a new automation"
- Start filling in the form:
- Name: put the name of the function
- Description: put the description of the function
- Trigger: select the trigger.
1. Trigger will run when approval is started. It allows for example to notify a 3rd party app like ServiceNow that you need to manage action in Powell Teams.
2. The trigger will run after the application of the template
3. After report creation
4. After a tag value change in an existing team: All along a team lifecycle, its information can evolve following a business process. It is possible to be informed about a team’s tag value change with automation.
Step 2: Associate your Powell Teams automation to your Powell Teams template, your tag or your report:
Associate your Powell Teams automation to your Powell Teams template:
- Go to "Microsoft Team template" " in the admin menu
- Choose the template from the list
- Go to the governance in the template settings
- Go to the "Automation" section in the template settings
- Choose the automation you created from the dropdown list
You can now associate multiple automations in a Powell Teams template to trigger multiple events. Note: there is no order in the automation executions, all are launched at the same time.
- Save the changes
Associate your Powell Teams automation to your report:
Open your reports and under the three-dots menu, you will find an option to associate existing automation to your report.
Associate your Powell Teams automation to your tag:
Go to your tags and edit or create a new one, you will find an option to associate existing automation to your tag.
Step 3: Create a team based on this Powell Teams Template
- Go to the page "All teams" in the menu
- Click on the button "create a new team"
- Apply the template on which you associated the Powell Teams automation
- Add additional information in the form and click create
Edit the automation
Check out the example of the existing automation below:
- Trigger: the trigger will run after the application of the template. Once the provisioning has taken place, it will bring through the code and pass some information along with it.
- Automation: In tab automation, Azure automation has been chosen as automation technology.
- Settings: the selected URL In the settings tab is the place where it will trigger.
And just below you have the list of details displaying the information which will pass through depending on the type of trigger chosen:
- team ID
- team name
- template ID
- template name
- owners of the team
- members of the team
- requestor ID : who's the actual request come from (requestor does not necessarily has to be the owner)
- tag values: tags assigned to that particular team
As you scroll down, you have the list of templates associated with the automation.
In that case, the list is empty.