Table of contents
New to Powell Intranet? Click here for the full product overview.
Yammer is a Powell web part with which you can engage your employees and embed your Yammer feeds directly in your portal. Users can follow the latest hot topics or stories via the global discussion feed with this web part.
You can find the example of this web part on Powell Intranet's "My board" page.
Users can comment, like, share, praise, and add attachments to announcements. Everything is automatically updated on Yammer.
If the post you want to publish is relevant to the marketing department, you can notify them by adding a marketing group in the "Notify to" tab. You can also tag your posts and add topics.
The filter on the upper right corner of the web part enables us to find discussions according to a specific group or department. As you click on it, you will see the list of different groups and departments. For example, if you click the Marketing group, the discussion board will display discussions within that group.
Configure the web-part settings:
Choose the template: You have the choice between different kinds of displays :
- Orion: "Yammer Overview List" this view is a concise list of the latest Yammer posts you choose to display, the only action available is liking posts. It's perfect for keeping an eye on the latest Yammer posts.
- Orion: "Yammer Complete List" this view offers a complete set of interactions; you can post updates, announcements, or even praise people from this view. You can also like, reply and share posts on your Yammer feed and even see who liked the posts.
- Cassiopeia: "Yammer Homeview" this view is just like the "Yammer Overview List," but with a different display.
- Cassiopeia: "Yammer Advanced" this view is just like the "Yammer Complete List," but with a different display.
- You can choose to use thumbnails for images. This way, we get better performances as we get the thumbnail of all images to minimalize the content's size.
- Set the row limit to define the number of posts to display. The number you will set here is the maximum number of items we will display.
- The number you will set in the real-time polling time corresponds to the auto-refresh of the component.
- See more options: Please refer to the caption below to understand how this option works once you opt-in it. As you select the "see more" label, you will have a "see more" button displayed on your web page. You can rename it and set a label of your choice. You can add a url - when users click the button; it will redirect them to that url page. For this widget, the default label is "Open Yammer."
"See more" configuration.
- React label: You can choose to change the label. By default, it will be "See more." When you choose the Orion "Overview List" Template, you won't get all the topic elements. To have a more complete view, you can click the "React" button on the bottom of the web part to open a pop-in, where a more complete view will be displayed, as shown in the example below.
- Load more label: the load more button lets you display more discussions. You can change the label of "load more" and put the label you want to have in the text box.
"Load more" label configuration.
You'll have below, for the continuation of the web part's configuration, the selection of the Yammer group you want to be displayed, the selection of the actions you want to enable, and the posts you want to be displayed.
- Current Yammer network: The form shows the currently chosen Yammer network and the group. As you click on it, you can select the Yammer network and then choose from the list below what you want to display from that network. Click "change the group" if you want to change the Yammer group.
- Actions: Under actions, you can choose which actions you can perform on this web part. For example, if you select the option "praise", it will display the "Praise" tab next to the "Update" tab.
- Display: You choose what to display in the discussions in the "display." If you remove the "praise" option, all the "praise posts" will be removed from the discussion board. The same goes for announcements and updates.
"Update" is a response to a post (a reply). "Announcement" is a type of a post.
What data is retrieved depending on the option chosen
Use an existing group.
- Yammer API Endpoint used: /messages/in_group/[:group_id].json
- Powell query: https://api.yammer.com/api/v1/messages/in_group/GROUPID.json?threaded=extended&limit=
- Data retrieved :
- All messages in a specified group.
Display the global feed
- Yammer API Endpoint used: /messages/my_feed.json
- Powell query: https://api.yammer.com/api/v1/messages/my_feed.json?threaded=extended&limit=
- Data retrieved :
- User's feed, based on the selection they have made between "Following" and "Top" conversations.
Use an existing topic
- Yammer API Endpoint used: /messages/about_topic/[:id].json
- Powell query: https://api.yammer.com/api/v1/messages/about_topic/TOPIC.json?threaded=extended&limit=
- Data retrieved :
Messages related the topic specified by the topic id
- Yammer API Endpoint used: /messages/following.json
- Powell query: https://api.yammer.com/api/v1/messages/following.json?threaded=extended&limit=
- Data retrieved :
- Conversations involving people and topics the user is following.
- The parameter threaded=extended will return the thread starter messages and the two most recent messages, all ordered by activity, as viewed in the default view on the Yammer web interface.
After a deeper analysis, we also spotted that Yammer explains the difference of "messages" retrieved with the assortment used in the API call (which is different from the direct access on the website).
Even with native yammer embed (which uses the API), the behavior will differ from direct access.