The Search box web-part is a Powell 365 web-part. The example of this web-part can be found in many places on the Intranet. For example: the People Directory page.
The Search box web-part is a great way to simplify the search of different elements on your intranet.
Thanks to the Search box, you can search certain elements of a linked content search web-part directly from a field.
Search box web-part on the “People Directory” page
How to add the Search box web-part
To configure the Search box web-part, you need to :
- Click the plus sign to add a new web-part, where you want it on your page.
- Then search for "Powell Intranet Web-parts" from the list.
Select “Powell Intranet Webparts”
- After selecting the Powell Intranet Web-parts, you'll see an empty widget, you need to edit it and select the desired web-part (to do so, click the pencil icon on your empty widget).
- As you click the edit button for the Powell Intranet Web-parts, you will see a web-part form. (The image below).
- Fill in the required information
- In the widgets section, select "Search box".
How to configure the Search box web-part
After selecting the Search box web-part, an edit form will appear. You will see how to configure each section of it below.
"Choose where to display the results" section
- You can select in the “Template” drop-down list the display of your Search box.
- You can choose to display the results in the current page or in another page by selecting the behaviour you want your search box to have.
- If you select “In current page” a “Connect to” section will be displayed where you can choose the Content search web-part you want your search to be linked with. If you have set many content search web-parts in your page, you'll be able to select the one you want to link by selecting the right checkbox.
“In current page” configuration on the Search box web-part edit form
“Connect to” section on the Search box web-part edit form
- If you select “In another page”, the “Connect to” section won't be displayed. It will display a field where you can add the other page address.
“In another page” configuration on the Search box web-part edit form
“Enable suggestions” section
With the given checkboxes, you can decide whether or not you want to enable :
- Search suggestions: if you check this box, when you start typing something, suggestions will appear
- People suggestions
- Or Delve suggestions
“Configure the navigation tabs” section
Under your checkbox, you can decide to add some navigation tabs to make it easier for users to navigate through links.
- In the edit form you can choose to :
- Have “No tabs”
- Use “Configured tabs”
- Or to create custom tabs : Where you can set the title of your tab and the URL linked to it. You can add as much tabs as you want by clicking on the add button. Once created you can directly edit theses tabs under “The Navigation Links” where all of your tabs are listed. You can add a language to the tab or delete it.
“Configure the default placeholder text” section
In this section, you'll be able to set which text will be displayed by default and/or for each language in you Search-box.